The issue was reproduced when building a minimap for an open world level with no Actors with "Is Spatially Loaded" enabled. Placing additional Actors with "Is Spatially Loaded" enabled in the level did not cause the issue.
In UE 5.0 release ,
minimap build failed with the log
"LogWorldPartitionMiniMapBuilder: Error: No tiles were rendered, cannot compose Virtual Texture." in the same situation.
in 5.1 release, 5.2 release, 5.3 preview,
after canceling the World Partition Editor minimap build task,
log spammed with the increased count number
"LogWorldPartitionBuilder: Display: [13163 / -336725436] Processing cells..."
Refer see the attached sample projects
1. Create Empty Project
2. New Level using Empty Open World
3. Add Directional light to world.
4. Add Plane actor to world, And unchecked “IsSpatiallyLoaded”.
5. In Editor, Execute “Build World Partition Editor Minimap”
6. Wait for the minimap build to finish.
7. If the build does not end, press the Stop Build button to cancel the build.
8. Check the log.
There's no existing public thread on this issue, so head over to Questions & Answers just mention UE-192650 in the post.