Renaming a blueprint component and presing ocmpile will reset any altered instances of the blueprint to default values.
1. Open Editor (any project)
2. Create new blueprint
3. Add a static mesh component to blueprint (any mesh)
4. Rename component to "test1"
6. Place copy in level
7. Select blueprint in level
8. In details pane, select the static mesh component and change mesh/material to any other mesh/material
9. In blueprint, rename component to "renamed"
Blueprint copy in level reverts to default values
Blueprint maintains altered values, component is renamed.
Head over to the existingAnswerHub thread and let us know what's up.