Effects Quality settings within the device profiles, or even set in the .ini file seem to be ignored. Even when you're calling sg.effectsquality in the console command, it's ignored. The only way I was able to get refraction (for instance) to work was by setting the refraction itself in the console command.
Regression: Tested on 4.14 Preview 2 - 3179539, 4.13.2 - 3172292 and 4.12.5 - 3039270
1. Create a new project with starter content
2. Open the StarterMap
3. Click on P_Fire
4. Open the Particle Editor
5. Turn off Distortion
6. Click on Flames > Required > Details Panel > M_Fire_SubUV
7. Material Editor opens, add a 0 constant to the Refraction
8. Save and package for Android or iOS
9. Open packaged game on device and use the console command 'sg.EffectsQuality 4' and switch between values (0 - 4)
Expected: For the refraction to change on the device.
Results: The refraction level does not change once called by command, or even set up in the device profiles. There is never a change.
Head over to the existing Questions & Answers thread and let us know what's up.