Renaming an animNotify in the Animation Notifies window (Window>Animation Notifies) does not redirect existing event nodes to the new name. It also doesn't appear under the Right Click menu in the event graph until you restart the project.
1. Create a project from the BP Third Person template
2. Find the Idle animation sequence and open it
3. Right click in the notify timeline and select AddNotify>NewNotify
4. Name it something unique
5. Go into the ThirdPersonAnimBlueprint and find the EventGraph
6. Right click and type the name of your notify and add the event
7. Go back to the idle animation sequence
8. Go to Window>Animation Notifies
9. Right click on your animNotify and select rename
10. Rename it something unique
11. Save the Animation
12. Return to the AnimationBP
Result: AnimNotify event is not tied to the new name. This breaks the functionality as well (connect a printstring to it and PIE to see what I mean)
There's no existing public thread on this issue, so head over to Questions & Answers just mention UE-13696 in the post.