Fixup Redirectors doesn't work in the editor when showing redirectors using the filter and then choosing Fixup. The maps that reference the redirectors aren't being checked out and fixed. I'm just getting an error saying the editor couldn't fix the redirector.
This is making a basic editor feature of deleting old assets and pointing references to a new replacement asset a nightmare.
I'm deleting a bunch of assets that are being referenced in test levels. I'm using the "Replace References" button to replace the references with a generic version of the assets that are being deleted. The editor isn't checking out any of the test levels. It's only asking me to check out Object Redirectors for all the assets I'm deleting. I expected the editor to check the test levels out and not create object redirectors. ok.. I'll check out the redirectors and then try to figure out how to fix them up..
Comment about how it's good to run FixUpRedirects every couple of weeks with zero info on how to actually run it:
ok.. an AnswerHub on showing hidden redirectors and right clicking on them to fix them up. Sounds better than running a commandlet:
"The following redirectors could not be completely fixed up"
"Redirector is referenced by an unloaded map. Package: /Game/Maps/.."
None of the maps are being checked out and the references fixed.
I think there really needs to be an option when deleting assets and when prompted with the "replace references" button that it doesn't create an object redirector and instead immediately goes and checks the various maps and blueprints out and makes it all reference the new replacement asset without these extra steps.
1. Create 3 child blueprints that all come from the same parent blueprint.
2. Create 3 test levels and place one of the child blueprints in each test level.
3. Delete the child blueprints.
4. When prompted in the delete window, replace the references to the child blueprints with the parent blueprint.
5. Try closing the editor or change maps or do anything that prompts a save.
6. Click "yes" when the editor asks to check out redirectors for the child blueprints.
7. In the content browser filter, go to the bottom filter and view redirectors.
8. Right click on a redirector (or all of them) and choose Fix Up.
Redirectors are checked out.
Error in the log that says "redirector is referenced by an unloaded map."
None of the test maps are checked out and fixed.
"Replace references" checks out all the files that were using the deleted asset and actually updates the reference to point to the reference rather than to a redirector. The editor only creates a redirector if the user doesn't replace all the references with the new asset either by choice or because the reference was in some place that couldn't be replaced (like in code?).
There's no existing public thread on this issue, so head over to Questions & Answers just mention UE-14559 in the post.