If a hierarchical instanced static mesh has LODs and is scaled in a blueprint, the mesh will rapidly switch between LODs, causing a flickering effect.
Note: This only seems to occur if the camera is far enough back to cause the mesh to set LOD 1 or higher. If it is close enough to be LOD 0, the mesh will not flicker and appear as LOD 0.
1. Open editor (any project)
2. Import a mesh with LODs
3. Create a new blueprint
4. Add a hierarchical instanced static mesh component
5. Assign imported mesh to the hierarchical instanced static mesh component
6. Press + under elements to add one element
6. Create the event graph in the attached image
7. Place a copy of the blueprint in level
8. Press PIE and look at mesh
If the mesh is far enough away to cause LODs to switch, it will begin to flicker between the two LOD states.
Expected: The mesh will grow and only change LODs if the camera is far enough away from the camera. The LOD will only change on distance and no flickering occurs.
Head over to the existing Questions & Answers thread and let us know what's up.