When there are a large number of static meshes within the Foliage paint mode, some of the mesh thumbnails are duplicated and do not accurately reflect the correct static mesh to paint as foliage.
The user reporting the issue believed it had something to do with a number of sublevels, but I was able to reproduce with a single level and a large number of static meshes placed in the foliage paint mode window.
1. Create new blank project with Starter Content.
2. Drag in a large number of Static Meshes (similar to attached image)
3. Leave only the first foliage mesh checked for painting.
4. Begin painting on a surface.
5. Click the 'Place' tab within Modes, and then back on 'Foliage'.
Outcome Some of the icons are duplicated and share the same thumbnail
Expected All the thumbnails are accurate and represent the correct static mesh.
Head over to the existing Questions & Answers thread and let us know what's up.