I could not repro their issue in main. They supposedly recently upgraded to 4.5. I was wondering if you could divide an conquer, and figure out when we fixed this.
Was able to repro in main CL 2393571. Repro steps added.
Connect custom event node into Play exec of the timeline. Then call the custom event from the function.
1. Open UE4 Editor
2. Create new Actor BP
3. In event graph, create new timeline
4. Add float track from 0-1 to timeline
5. Connect update pin to print string
6. Connect float track pin to print string
7. Create new function
8. Add timeline reference to new function
9. From timeline reference, add Play node and wire into function exec pin
10. In event graph, add input event to call the function
11. In Defaults tab, set Auto Receive Input to Player 0.
13. Add BP to level and run PIE
14. Press input key
There's no existing public thread on this issue, so head over toAnswerHub just mention UE-6961 in the post.