This issue has been closed as 'Won't Fix' due to an extended period of time without updates. If this issue is important to you please let us know by posting on the AnswerHub or UDN, and Epic will re-open the ticket for further review.
Sprites using a lit material render black in Orthographic views. Sprites are rendered as expected in Perspective view.
1. Create a new 2D Side Scroller template project
2. Select one of the Ledge sprites in the viewport
3. In the Content Browser, enable Show Plugin Content
4. In the Details panel, switch the Element 0 Material to MaskedLitSpriteMaterial
5. Add a Spot light and aim it at the Ledge sprite
6. Switch the viewport mode from Perspective to Front
In Front view, the ledge is completely black.
The same behavior in Orthographic views as seen in Perspective views.
Head over to the existingAnswerHub thread and let us know what's up.