If a device has no available input or output devices, activating an Audio Capture component will cause the device to crash. Occurs in Editor and Runtime.
1) Launch RDP on the host machine
2) Click on the Local Resources tab
3) Under Setting... set Remote Audio Playback to Do Not Play
If you are working locally:
1) Open Sound Settings on Windows
2) Click on Manage Sound Devices
3) Disable all Input and Output devices (click on the device and then select Disable)
4) Launch AudioQA
5) Open the map AQ_AudioCapture
7) Move the camera in front of the Activate button to activate an Audio Capture Component
Component is activated without issue
There's no existing public thread on this issue, so head over to Questions & Answers just mention UE-160912 in the post.